Creamy Broccoli Dal
This soup is a modern classic. The creamy taste of cream of broccoli soup combined with the flavor of Northern Indian cream based dal. This soup started a whole new flavor profile for my current techniques. This recipe is also from my new cookbook Vegan Yum Yum. This is the last recipe I will post from it for the near future as I don’t want to give the entire cookbook away. If you like the two recipes I’ve from it I’ve done here – you should buy it. It’s an awesome vegan reference, and very creative recipes.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 to 1/2 onion, finely chaoppped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups broccoli, finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil on medium-high heat in a 2 – 3 quart pot. Add the cumin and mustard seeds, onions and lentils. Cook these ingredients in the oil until the lentils begin to change color and the seeds are popping. Stir almost constantly and be careful not to burn any of the ingredients.
- Add the broccoli, water and salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water as necessary to keep from getting too thick and then burn. It should be thick, but still a bit watery. The broccoli should be soft.
- Add the soy milk, soy sauce, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, red pepper flakes and salt. Turn down the heat so the soy milk doesn’t get too hot, or it will change color. Not good. Adjust the seasoning if needed. Done!